Phil and Cols co-host a web design tutorial blog which they launched a couple of months ago. The duo has struggled all to no avail to identify where the bottleneck lies as to why the blog has hitherto not generated desired qualitative impression or driven much traffic. But in mid-February, Phil met Jakes in one of his e-trips to North Asia.
Jakes, a tested guru in web and blog management opened Phil to keyword research for SEO, one of the most incredibly fascinating but too-often-ignored aspects of running a blog and web. Jakes felt any successful blogger that fails to utilize the power of keywords for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) would only be playing to the gallery.
‘Hey, Phil, I quite understand how devastating you and your partner are now, running a blog for close to nine months without any breakthrough in Google ranking. That can be dangerously telling on your psyches and finances,” Jakes opened up with a little empathy.
Here is the highlight of what Jakes had to bluntly tell Phil in their close to two-hour chat on Facebook.
The first thing you have to bear in mind while you’re hoping for SEO is to take your keyword search very seriously. How relevant you consider keyword research as the fundamental key to SEO determines the height of your ranking. Keywords both provide direction for specific search data and determine the desired quantity and quality of traffic.
What is keyword research?
Keyword research simply means a detailed process and practice of studying search terms, whether in the form of words, phrases, or sentences which people often enter into search engines such as Google, Bing, AOL, etc., when in search of information, products or services. The importance of using these terms is to help is to define clear strategies that will be effective to enhance your content and make it appear higher in the ranking search engine results page.
So, Phil has to bear in mind that you don’t just fill your blog with content. Ensure you carry out enough study on the right and proper keywords in the niche you choose to write on before writing any content on your blog. You will need to look out for the right keyword research tools that will generate for your plethora of terms and expressions from which you can choose.
How will Phil and Cols go about conducting keyword research?
- Think about the right topics, titles, headlines, and terms related to their business and industry niche
- Come up with realistic terms, sentences, and expressions that are related and close to what people search for online about that field and industry.
- Use keyword tools that provide thorough data and information. That will also include checking for competitive keywords and include both low competition and high searches.
- Adopt the blend of both short and long-tail keywords. This will greatly help boost their blog reach. While long-tail keywords are better used under content titles, short ones serve in the body of the article for SEO.
- Finally, Phil and Cols don’t have to forget saving these search terms and keywords for other days and SEO content. Downloading a number of them will be better. But they won’t have to fill content with an unnecessary number of keywords. That won’t help your blog ranking but will be considered as spam.